Collection of Information by NYC.gov
In order to improve the content and usability of this website, the NYPD automatically collects several categories of information from users. This information includes the following:
- The apparent Internet Protocol ("IP") address of your Internet Service Provider ("ISP") and/or your computer, if your computer has an IP address assigned directly to it. 1
- The apparent Fully Qualified Domain Name ("Domain Name") of your Internet Service Provider ("ISP") and/or your computer, if your computer has a domain name assigned directly to it. 2
- TThe type of browser (such as, for example Netscape, Internet Explorer, Opera, Konqueror, etc.) used and the operating system resident on a user's computer.
- The date and time a user visited the site.
- The web pages accessed at the site, as well as any applications used and forms data.
- The Uniform Resource Locator ("URL") of the site which a user visited prior to NYPD (if detectable), if such user did not connect directly to NYPD, or use it as a homepage or "Portal.
The City uses this information to identify site performance needs; to ensure compatibility with the technology used by NYPD's visitors, and to generally add and improve services offered on NYPD. In order to accomplish those goals, from time to time, the City may conduct statistical analysis of the data it collects.
The City does not collect data for commercial or marketing purposes, 3 and the City does not sell, exchange or otherwise distribute the data collected by NYPD for commercial or marketing purposes.
We use a third party to serve ads on our behalf across the Internet. The third party may also collect anonymous information about your visits to our web site. This is primarily accomplished through the use of a technology device, commonly referred to as a Web beacon or an Action Tag, which we place on various web pages within our web site that allows the third party to collect anonymous information. The third party may use information about your visits to this and other web sites in order to provide ads about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by the third party, "click here". The third party reports the anonymous data that they collect on our behalf back to us, which we link to our customer's personally identifiable information for the purposes of better serving you. When we merge this data, it is treated under this policy as personally identifiable information as described above.
Information Submitted to NYPD
During a session on NYPD, a user may affirmatively submit information to the City by, among other means, electronic mail ("e-mail"), by filling in and submitting an on-line form, or by electing to personalize NYPD and use it as a customized portal. Such affirmatively submitted information is stored in a secure environment, and will be used by the City in furtherance of its duties and/or obligations to its citizenry (i.e., "governmental purposes"). 4
The governmental purposes to which affirmatively submitted information may be put include, but are not limited to, the following: