Requirements to Take the Written Examination
- Applicants must be at least 17 ½ years of age when taking exam.
- Applicant must not have reached their 35th birthday on day of exam.
- Those applicants who are 35 and over and have active United States military service may deduct up to six years from the age requirement.
Requirements to Be Hired:
- Candidates must be at least 21 years of age on or before the day of hire.
- Candidates must be a United States citizen on or before the day of hire.
- On or before the day of hire, candidates must have successfully completed either:
- Sixty (60) college credits with a 2.0 G.P.A. from an accredited college or university, or
- Two (2) years of full-time, active military service in the United States Armed Forces with an honorable discharge and have a high school's diploma or its equivalent.
- Thirty days following the date of hire, candidates must reside within the five (5) boroughs of New York City and the surrounding counties
- Thirty days following the date of hire, candidates must possess a valid New York State Driver's License
- Candidates must pay a $75.00 fee for fingerprinting as part of the investigation process.
- Candidates must pass a drug/alcohol screening.
- Candidates must pass a character and background investigation.
The following factors are some of those which would be cause for disqualification:
- Any conviction of an offense which is punishable by one or more years imprisonment (felony).
- Any repeated convictions of an offense which indicate a disrespect for the law, a lack of good moral character or disposition towards violence and disorder.
- Discharge from employment, where such discharge indicates poor behavior and/or an inability adjusting to discipline.
- A Dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.
- Persons convicted of a petit larceny.
- Persons convicted of any domestic violence offense.
- Candidates must pass all medical, physical, written psychological and oral psychological examinations.