AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE WORKER
$ 32,885.00 – $ 38,245.00 (Annual)
8 hours per day / 5 days per week
1 Police Plaza, N.Y.
The Police Department is seeking qualified candidates to fill numerous Automotive Service Worker Level I positions throughout the Patrol Services Bureau.
Under direct supervision, the Automotive Service Worker, Level I will perform automotive maintenance services and assist in performing automotive repairs. Specific duties include: performing automotive maintenance services such as: preventive maintenance; inspection; battery service; lubrication and oil change; and checking, servicing, patching and changing tires.
This position will be responsible for cleaning, washing, and polishing vehicles; cleaning interiors of vehicles; dispensing gasoline and oil; checking the level, and refilling automobile fluids such as coolant, oil, transmission and brake fluids, etc., as necessary.
Additional duties include: assisting in performing tune ups and repairs, in shops and on the road, and in replacement of engine parts, drive trains, transmissions, steering gear and components, ignitions, heating and cooling systems, air conditioning components, brake systems, lighting systems and sirens and back-up warning tone systems; operating motor vehicles to test repairs; operating a tow truck when required; and maintaining and updating vehicle service and repair records.
Minimum Qual Requirements
For Assignment to Level I
1. Two years of full-time satisfactory experience, acquired in an automotive repair shop or gasoline service station within the last ten years, performing automotive maintenance services, such as inspection, lubrication and oil changing; or
2. Graduation from a trade high school, vocational high school or technical high school approved by a State’s Department of Education or a recognized accredited organization in a course of study in automotive maintenance and repair; or
3. An Associate Degree from an accredited college with a major in automotive technology.
At the time of appointment, all candidates must possess a Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
For certain positions, a New York State Class A Commercial Driver License (with Towing Endorsement) or a New York State Class B Commercial Driver License (with Air Brakes) is required. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
Note: Candidates may qualify with a Commercial Driver License Learner’s Permit and must obtain the required license within 180 days of appointment.
For Assignment to Level II
In addition to meeting the qualification requirements for Assignment Level I above, either:
1. One year of service as an Automotive Service Worker – Assignment Level I; or
2. One additional year of full-time automotive mechanical experience in an automotive repair shop or gasoline service station acquired within the last ten years.